- This event has passed.
Masterworks II — Tchaikovsky’s 6th
November 20 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Lucas Richman, conductor
Vijay Venkatesh, piano
Hidden gems from history combine with Tchaikovsky’s stirring Symphony No. 6 for a full program of Romantic-era passion
What’s Interesting About This Concert
- Pianist Vijay Venkatesh makes his BSO debut, having recently recorded the piano music of Lucas Richman
- Composer Augusta Holmès was a French/Irish contemporary of Tchaikovsky’s, and her music has only recently been re-discovered
- Clara Schumann was one of the most celebrated pianists of the 19th century, though her own compositions were often overshadowed by those of her husband Robert Schumann
- Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6 is known as the “Pathétique Symphony”, but in his native Russian the original sub-title meant “passionate”
- Augusta Holmès | Allegro Feroce
- Clara Schumann | Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 7
- Vijay Venkatesh, piano
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky| Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74
Tickets obtainable here.