- This event has passed.
Varney Agency Winter Fun Day
March 7 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
The Varney Agency Winter Fun Day at Hirundo Wildlife Refuge has activities and games for all ages.
- Take a short ride by dog sled with the Ultimate Dog Sledding Experience
- Compete in Hirundo’s own biathlon — snowshoe races and a ball toss
- Join us for a guided winter ecology and/or archaeology hike through one of Hirundo’s wilderness trails
- Participate in the snow sculpture contest
- Give snowshoeing or cross country skiing a try (BYO — a few will be available to borrow)
- Check out our ice fishing and snow shelter demos
- Check out fun children’s activities with the Maine Science Festival and Maine Discovery Museum
- Hear an a capella performance by Mainely Voices
- Explore wildlife and archaeology touch tables, ice bubbles, and groundhog-themed children’s crafts
- Joe’s Chuck Wagon and Spencer’s Ice Cream of Bradley, Maine will be on hand to provide lots of great food for the day
- Warm up by the fire pit, roast s’mores, plus so much more.
Tickets: $15 adults, $10 with college ID, children free. Cash/checks only accepted at door. Tickets can be purchased online prior to the event.
Parking: Onsite parking is available for $10 per car (handicap parking is free). Off site parking is available located not far from the entrance of Hirundo on West Old Town Road. A shuttle provided by Cyr Bus and Old Town-Orono YMCA is provided free of charge.
Special thanks to our sponsors: Varney Agency, Northern Light Health, Print Bangor, City of Old Town and WABI-TV5.