- This event has passed.
Respirator Fit Test (Augusta)
January 8 @ 12:00 pm
Under the revised Worker Protection Standards, anyone applying pesticides that require the use of a respirator, must complete (and maintain a record of) a respirator fit test. Respirator fit tests must be completed with the same make, model, size, and style of respirator that will be used in the field. Prior to respirator fit testing, each applicator must pass (and maintain a record of) a medical evaluation demonstrating they are physically fit enough to wear a respirator.
Join Cooperative Extension at the Augusta Civic Center on Monday, January 8 (the day before the Agricultural Trades Show) to get your respirator fit test done. Pre-registration is required. Registration costs $10.
Prior to your appointment:
Contact Lynne Hazelton at 207.781.6099 or firstname.lastname@example.org at the Cumberland County Cooperative Extension Office to sign up for a timeslot for your test.
Important: Complete your medical evaluation and receive a written medical determination that you are physically able to use a respirator ASAP. This may require a follow-up medical examination if deemed necessary by the medical provider. Medical evaluations may be conducted with any licensed health care professional or through one of several online services. A few online options are listed here:
- 3M Respirator Medical Evaluation
- OSHA Medical Evaluation for Respirator Use
- Dawson Compliance Online Respirator Medical Evaluation/ Clearance Test
For more information on WPS-Respirator requirements, review this document.
At your fit test appointment:
- Bring your medical evaluation clearance form. You will not be fit-tested without it.
- Bring the respirator that you use in the field. Each person should have his or her own respirator.
- If the respirator you bring does not pass the fit test, you may have to purchase a new respirator with a better fit.
- Beards cannot be worn with tight fitting facemasks. Please shave before coming to your fit test.
For questions about respirator fit testing or other Worker Protection Standard regulations, contact Amanda Couture (Amanda.Couture@maine.gov or 207.287.2731) at the Maine Board of Pesticides Control.